Acceptance into Mason's PhD Program.
- Apply to Mason's PhD program. Indicate interest in grant within the PhD application by inserting a Grant Information Flyer. Handwrite your name on this flyer, and note that you wish to be considered for the grant if you are accepted into the doctoral program.
- Mason's doctoral program application process and PhD Program Information Session dates/times can be found at http://gse.gmu.edu/programs/phd/
- Acquire acceptance into Mason's PhD program.
Note: Phase I occurs completely independent of the grant selection process. If you are accepted to the PhD Program, please immediately notify the PhD office and one of the PIs if you are accepting entry into the PhD Program. You cannot proceed to Phase II until the PhD office has your official acceptance on file.
Review of doctoral applications by Co-PIs.
- The doctoral applications for each accepted PhD student is further reviewed by the grant's Co-Principal Investigators (Co-PIs).
- Decisions are made about which grant applicants proceed to Phase III.
Interviews, writing samples, and grant commitment details.
- Selected grant applicants* are interviewed by the Co-PIs and members of the grant's Advisory Committee.
- Selected grant applicants receive more detailed information about the rigor and pace of this doctoral grant program and the commitment they will be making if they are invited to participate in the grant.
- Before or after the Grant Interview, applicants complete a brief essay related to the grant.
- Decisions are made about which grant applicants proceed to Phase IV.
* Selected grant applicants who have a disability and require accommodations for the interview and/or writing portion of Phase III must notify the Co-PI who invites them to the interview so that those accommodations can be arranged.
Notification, Letter of Commitment, and start of doctoral program.
- Selected grant applicants are invited to become a grant participant.
- Grant participants sign a Letter of Commitment noting their understanding of and agreement to complete all requirements.
- Grant participants begin the doctoral program.